Certificate of Language Ability

In the Global Talent Survey from 2014, 93% of the 2100 mid and large-sized companies seek “employees who can show they are able to work effectively with customers, clients, and businesses from a range of different countries and cultures.” 55% of those companies explicitly track foreign language skills of employee candidates.

The Department of World Languages & Cultures offers an Undergraduate Certificate of Language Ability as a credential for students that provides tangible proof of their world language abilities in oral and written communication.

The certificate serves as an ideal complement to a major in another field such as International Relations, International Business, Public Relations, Marketing, Hospitality, Nursing, Public Health, Sociology, Political Science, Anthropology, Psychology, Criminal Justice, and more.

The Certificate of Language Ability offers students the ability to document language skills through a program that allows a more flexible alternative to a minor or major in a language.


The Undergraduate Certificate of Language Ability is open to any student at GSU.

A student may pursue the Certificate for a variety of reasons.

With a notation on their transcript, the Certificate would allow students to:

  • complement their major area of study.
  • note distinction within their language major
  • document language skills as a Heritage Speaker


The Undergraduate Certificate of Language Ability is available in the following languages:

  • Arabic
  • Chinese
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Spanish


  • 12 credit hours of language credit at the 2000 and 3000 level (a minimum of 6 credit hours at the 3000-level and a maximum 6 credits of elective requirements may be taken through a study abroad program). Ask your adviser what specific classes qualify for the Certificate.
  • A grade of B or higher in each of the courses (or the approved credit equivalent such as a 5 on the AP exam). Students may not retake the class and replace the grade if they score below a B.


Talk with your adviser in the University Advisement Center or the Office of Academic Assistance to register for the Certificate of Language Ability.